This blog is moderated! Dot not leave anonymous messages because I won't even open them and will directly reject them. Any attempt to spam this blog ends directly in the spam filter of my gmail account.

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Cooking Day - Giornata Culinaria

My mama thinks that is she doesn't cook for me I won't. My father thinks that if he doesn cook for us we'll starve. I actually manage pretty well on my own, so today I manage to do a little something for my mom. Pennette with cream and fried zucchini.
It's very simple because you just fry the zucchini without putting salt, just add a little vinegar in the end. Make them nice and brown they'll be the sweet flavor in the pasta.
Then, you know the usual stuff, put the water on the stove, bring the water to boil, add salt then toss the pasta and if the box says "Cook for 9 minutes" you take them out at 8 to have it "al dente" but if you want to toss it take it out at about 7 minutes to have it al chiodo. In my case I needed it to be al chiodo because I needed to toss the past with the cream. Strain the pasta, put it back in the pot, add cream as much as needed not to make it too sticky but not too much or it would get too watery... then sprinkle a little bit of nutmeg and curry powder and grated parmiggiano. Impattare... that is put it in the plate and put the zucchini on top. Ain't that nice?
Of course, Natuzzo, you have to try this! *_* I think you'll like it.

Oggi a pranzo... pennette con le zucchine fritte. Nella mia variante nella panna si sono un po' di noce moscata e curry.

My mama instead thought best to prepare dinner as well. This is a potato cake thingy... we call it gateau. You boil the potato, peel them, squeeze them, add one egg... it will get gooey so you add breadcrumbs (my mom didn't have any so she put wet soft bread - I wonder how it came out). Anyway breadcrumbs are the best make it so that it's nice and not sticky. Put a first layer in the pan, then add whaterver ingredient you like, cheese, ham, tomatoe sauce and green peas or mushrooms... anything goes (no capers).
put a second layer of the mashed potatoes thingy and put breadcrumbs on top then put it in the over to bake... I guess 275 F until it gets nice and brown.

Mia madre invece ha pensato bene di preparare un gateau di patate per cena... ma non aveva il pan grattato e ci ha messo il pan carrè ammollato nell'acqua e mi domando... sarà buono? Stasera lo saprò. E' farcito solo con della scamorza affumicata.... ed è pieeeno di parmiggiano.

Then, this afternoon, I decided to make some scones.
I took the recipe from the Joy of baking website. Seems like it worked, they look and smell nice... I hope they taste nice too but I will have them for breakfast tomorrow with my fannel tea... when my dad is back from his trip.



E questi sono scones. Ricetta presa da Joy of Baking... mettono le misure in grammi quindi è un sito utile. Pare che la ricetta abbia funzionato, consistenza e odore sono ottimi ma devo aspettare domattina per assaggiarli visto che mio padre farà ritorno da un viaggio stasera e faremo una bella colazione abbondante (io con tisana al finocchio e i miei col caffellatte). Gli scones sono tipici dolci da merenda... originariamente provengono dalla Scozia e spesso e volentieri li servono insieme alla Clotted Cream quando si va per High tea.
Ovviamente è impossibile trovare clotted cream in Italia e quindi ho cercato una ricetta alternativa su Joy of Baking per poter fare qualcosa che le somigliasse... panna, mascarpone, vaniglia e zucchero e il gioco è fatto. Gli scones sono brioches croccanti fuori e soffici dentro, sono leggermente salate... le tagli, ci spalmi su la clotted cream e la marmellata (di solito fragole ma io userò prugne) e te li pappi. Sono buoni perché non sono dolcissimi e sono al burro quindi sono profumati e saporiti.

This is my home made clotted cream. It tastes nice and very similar to the original one... I will use it with plum jam tomorrow for breakfast on my scones.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Che cuoca zia Deda!:-)
Mi fai venire fame, ed è pure quasi l'ora... Buon appetito!

Anonymous said...

Dedaaaaaa >v< gli scones mi ispirano tanto, ma più per il nome strano che per loro stessi XD perché non si chiamano gli "scojones"? XD auauhauhauahhauuahua X°D

dedasaur said...

Tsukkina... me preoccupa il fatto che tu abbia fatto la stessa domanda di mio padre O_O... hai presente il carabiniere con la vanga? Lui!

ma che t'è finita la sparrucola!!! XD